I’m so glad that I live in the digital age. It might sound odd, but with my mom brain, I struggle to remember all of the small details. I don’t want to forget the memories I made with my family. I want to cherish them forever. From family vacations to GameTruck birthday parties, I don’t want to lose a single memory. This is one of the biggest reasons why I’m so thankful for my phone.
Pictures help us relive memories and reignite our emotions. (This is why I can’t bring myself to delete a single picture of my kids 🙂 While photography seems to come naturally for some people, it doesn’t for me. It’s been a creative journey for me, but here are four tips that made the difference for me that you can try to take your photography to the next level!
- Rule of Thirds
- In this photography rule, an image is broken up into nine squares. This can also be called “framing”. In this approach, try to get the best parts of your image where these lines intersect. This will give your photo a natural feel and gently guide the eyes to where you want them to go. Try lining your subject up on these lines to achieve this effect.
- To set this up on your iPhone, go to your settings, select apps – choose camera, and then select “grid lines”. This will allow you to use the Rule of Thirds with every picture you take to help you get awesome photos!
- Natural Light
- Lighting can make all the difference in a picture, and Natural is best. A flash rarely looks good on anyone. Natural lighting compliments most people and subjects. It is also the best option if you’d like to edit the photo later.
- Being mindful of the lighting also allows you to be creative. It can help convey the mood and the overall tone of the picture. You can try different angles in natural light, candles, sunsets, and so much more!
- Avoid Digital Zoom
- Avoided at all costs on a smartphone! By using digital zoom, you’ll get a grainy, poor resolution image. Digital zoom also magnifies any shaking or movement in the hands.
- If you need to zoom, move closer to get that awesome picture of your kid in their little league uniform or blasting away opponents at a GameTruck laser tag party!
- Use HDR
- Many smartphones are now equipped with High Dynamic Range or HDR. It adds detail from both dark and light areas of the picture for a balanced exposure. This is a great option to use if your picture has a dark ground and a bright sky. Turning this feature on in your settings will help balance your pictures out.
Summer, to me, has always been a season of new adventures and journeys. Taking nice pictures and videos will help you and your family always remember the memories you’ve made over the years together.
So, at your next GameTruck event, try one or all of these tips to take your photography skills to the next level!