Author: Cat Cooley
Educational Activities for Kids: Beat the Summer Slide and Keep Your Child Learning
Strategies to Continue Education Throughout Summer Break
Summer is synonymous with relaxation and fun. But did you know that it can also be a time for “summer slide”? That’s right! Summer slide is a real thing, and it’s not the fun kind with water and a swimming pool. Instead, it’s a term educators use to describe the learning loss that can occur when school is out. But fear not, dear parents! This guide is packed with educational activities for kids to keep their minds sharp and ready for the next school year. So, let’s dive in!
Explaining the “Summer Slide” Phenomenon
Before we delve into combating it, let’s understand what the summer slide is. It refers to the loss of academic skills and knowledge over the course of summer vacation. Simply put, when kids take a break from educational activities, their learning momentum can slide backward. But don’t worry, with the right strategies and resources, you can turn the summer slide into a summer rise with these educational activities for kids.
Ideas for Educational Day Trips
Day trips are a wonderful way to sneak in some education without your kids even realizing it. Museums, zoos, botanical gardens, and historical sites are rich with learning opportunities. Imagine your child exploring dinosaurs at a natural history museum or learning about different ecosystems at a botanical garden! Not only do these trips provide educational value, but they also create unforgettable family memories.
Online Resources and Educational Websites
Thanks to technology, learning can happen anytime, anywhere. Numerous online resources offer interactive and fun educational activities for kids. Websites like Khan Academy, National Geographic Kids, and Funbrain offer free content that can supplement your child’s learning in a variety of subjects. These platforms turn learning into an exciting game that your child would love to play.
Numerous online resources provide interactive and engaging educational content that your child can access right from home. Here are some top-rated websites that offer free educational activities for kids:
- Khan Academy – A non-profit educational organization that offers free courses in math, science, computer programming, history, art history, and economics.
- National Geographic Kids – Engages kids in the wonders of science, nature, culture, archaeology through games, videos, and interactive activities.
- Funbrain – Provides hundreds of free interactive games, books, videos, and printables that help kids develop skills in math, reading, problem-solving, and literacy.
- Starfall – Focuses on reading, phonics, and math – educational games, movies, books, songs, and more for children K-3.
- Coolmath – An amusement park of math and more… lessons and games designed to make math fun for kids.
Incorporating Learning into Daily Activities
Everyday activities can be an unexpected source of learning opportunities. Cooking together can be a practical math lesson, while grocery shopping can become an exercise in budgeting and nutrition. Even gardening can teach about science and the environment. Get creative and turn daily chores into educational activities!
Reading Lists by Age Group
Reading is a superb way to prevent summer slide. Create a reading list appropriate for your child’s age and interests. You could even form a small book club with their friends to make reading more social and fun. Not only will this improve their language and comprehension skills, but it also fosters a love for reading that could last a lifetime.
Promoting a love for reading is a fantastic way to prevent summer slide. To help you navigate the vast world of children’s literature, here are some great websites that provide book reviews and reading lists categorized by age group:
- Common Sense Media – Offers reliable book reviews, age ratings, and content analysis. You can sort by age, genre, book type, and more.
- A Mighty Girl – The world’s largest collection of books, toys, and movies for smart, confident, and courageous girls. A perfect resource if you are raising a mighty girl!
- Guys Read – A web-based literacy program for boys to help them become self-motivated, lifelong readers. You’ll find tons of book recommendations here.
- Book Trust – This UK based site offers a book-a-day recommendation, with comprehensive reviews and age suitability.
- The Children’s Book Review – Reviews and categorizes children’s books for enthusiastic readers, teachers, and parents.
Remember, the goal is to make reading fun and enjoyable, so let your child choose books that pique their interest. After all, a child who loves to read is a child ready to learn!
In summary, these five effective strategies will help prevent the summer slide and keep your child learning throughout the summer. Remember, learning doesn’t have to be boring or feel like a chore. With the right educational activities for kids, you can turn summer into a season of discovery and growth. So let’s beat the summer slide and slide into the new school year, ready and excited for more learning!
Looking for additional resources on education activities for kids?
Check out our blogs on Video Game Books for Kids and 3 Educational Benefits of Playing Minecraft!
Family Staycation Ideas You Need to Try
Family Staycation Ideas for this Summer
Who said you need to travel miles away to have a fantastic summer vacation? With the right family staycation ideas, you can turn your home into a summer paradise. We’re here to guide you through some fun-filled activities and themes that can make your family staycation as thrilling as any far-flung getaway. Let’s dive right in!
DIY Home Camp Setup
Turn your backyard into a fun-filled campground! Setting up tents, telling stories around a faux campfire, and stargazing can bring the wilderness adventure right to your backyard. Include fun camp games and don’t forget the essential camping treat – s’mores!
Make each day of your staycation unique with a different theme. A beach day could involve sandboxes, kiddie pools, and fruity drinks. Movie day could see you creating a homemade theater, complete with popcorn and a family-friendly flick. For science day, conduct simple yet exciting experiments. Let your creativity run wild!
Indoor and Backyard Activities
The beauty of a staycation is the flexibility it affords. From crafting sessions to treasure hunts, your house and backyard are playgrounds waiting to be explored. How about a backyard Olympics or an indoor dance-off? The sky’s the limit!
Family Cooking and Baking Ideas
Use this staycation to discover new recipes and involve the kids in cooking. From homemade pizzas to decorating cupcakes, there’s a bounty of culinary adventures awaiting your family. Plus, these activities also teach kids valuable skills and foster a love for cooking.
Fun and Educational Board Games
Board games are a great way to keep the fun indoors. They not only keep your family entertained but also stimulate cognitive skills. Games like Scrabble can improve vocabulary, while Monopoly can impart basic money management skills. So, break out those board games and let the fun begin!
Want to level up your staycation? Consider hosting a GameTruck party! GameTruck delivers excitement to your doorstep with a truck full of video games, consoles, and a GameCoach to guide the play. This can be a fantastic idea for a block party or a large family gathering. So, get in touch with your local GameTruck and make your staycation unforgettable!
There you have it! With these fun-filled family staycation ideas, your home will transform into the ultimate summer paradise. Remember, the goal is to create joyful memories and deepen your family bond. So, get started on your family staycation and make this summer one for the books!
Have a birthday coming up? Try GameTruck!
Check out our Complete Guide to Booking a Birthday Party!
Videogames for Kids 2023
A Parent’s Guide for Kids Video Games in 2023
Hey there, super parents! As we know, the world of video games for kids can be a minefield to navigate. With new releases hitting the shelves constantly, it can be hard to keep up. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! In this ultimate guide, we’re going to explore seven of the most exciting new games for kids released in 2023. From Minecraft to Star Wars, we’re covering all the bases. So, buckle up and join us on this epic journey through the gaming world!
We’ve carefully handpicked a selection of games for kids that are not only fun and engaging but also educational and parent-approved. Your kids will love them, and you’ll feel good knowing they’re playing age-appropriate, quality games. Let’s dive in!
Videogames for Kids #1: Minecraft Legends
But, would this be a video game list without the infamous Minecraft? No, it wouldn’t be!
- Encourages creativity and problem-solving
- Infinite possibilities for building and exploration
- Multiplayer mode fosters teamwork and social interaction
- Can be time-consuming
- May require parental guidance for younger players
Altogether, Minecraft Legends can be a great game for kids to get them playing with friends while learning creativity and problem-solving skills!
Videogames for Kids #2: Advance Wars™ 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
Ready to learn about this Nintendo Switch game? If so, check out these positives and negatives!
- Classic gameplay with modern updates
- Teaches strategic thinking and decision-making
- Bright, colorful graphics
- Some in-game combat, albeit cartoonish
- Younger children may find the strategic gameplay challenging
with all of this, Advance Wars 1+2 may be a great additional to your family’s video game collection!
Videogames for Kids #3: Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection
For number 3, let’s jump into this classic!
- Includes six classic Mega Man games in one package
- Encourages problem-solving and critical thinking
- Fun, engaging gameplay that’s suitable for kids
- Some in-game combat and mild cartoon violence
- Difficult boss battles may frustrate younger players
In other words, the Mega Man Battle Network Legacy may be a great game to get your kids connected to a classic!
Videogames for Kids #4: Power Wash Simulator
- Unique and satisfying gameplay
- Teaches patience and attention to detail
- Calming, stress-relieving experience
- Limited variety in gameplay
- Some players may find it repetitive
All in all, Powe Wash Simulator may be a good game for summer when you just need a moment of silence to save your sanity.
Videogames for Kids #5: Digimon World: Next Order
For number five, we’ve selected this game targeting older, more experienced gamers!
- Engaging story and immersive world
- Encourages strategic thinking and planning
- Deep bond-building mechanics with Digimon partners
- Complex gameplay systems may be challenging for younger kids
- Some in-game combat, but not overly graphic
In light of the negatives list, Digimon World: Next Order is on this for the older, more experience gamer kids.
Videogames for Kids #6: Football Manager 2023
- Offers an in-depth, realistic football management experience
- Teaches decision-making and resource management
- Allows kids to engage with their favorite sport in a new way
- Complex gameplay may be overwhelming for younger children
- Limited appeal for those who aren’t football fans
All things considered, Football Manager 2023 may be a fun game for your sports fanatic!
Videogames for Kids #7: Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge
- Immersive, interactive virtual reality experience
- Engaging story and beloved Star Wars characters
- Encourages exploration and problem-solving
- Requires a VR headset, which can be expensive
- Some mild combat and action scenes
In summary, Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge has earned its spot on this list!
In conclusion, 2023 has brought a fantastic lineup of games for kids that are fun and offer valuable learning experiences. From Minecraft Legends to Advance Wars™ 1+2: Re-Boot Camp, these games make learning soft skills fun. So go ahead, choose a game or two from our list! Watch your little ones embark on an exciting new adventure!
Have your kids tried any of these games? Share your experiences in the comments below. Don’t forget to recommend this blog to other parents looking for the best games for kids in 2023!
Parents, want to Learn More about Video Games?
Check out these blogs!